Research into music videos

Sunday 16 November 2014

Photoshoot - Miss Miller

Pictures are vital to take for an artist. Pictures are used for the artists promotional side such as magazine adverts, digipaks, merchandise, posters and more. Photos of the artist compliment the product or promotional item being viewed by the audience. They allow an artist to be identified and portrayed as a brand. It can be the underlying reason why a fan enjoys the artists music, as a picture shows an artists clothing style and image. When it came to filming I was the photographer, taking photos every step of the way. It was important to take many pictures so we would have much more choice to choose what we want to put on our artists digipak and film advert. As my group will all create individual magazine adverts and digipak ideas first. It was important to make sure that we all have different ideas initially. So we have a greater unconventional artistic edge for our groups digipak and advert.


A close up was taken for the main aim of using it as the digipak album cover. As a group we felt that the artist looking directly into the camera, allowed the audience to build a relationship with them as it looked as if the artist was looking straight back at the audience. This can make the audience feel special as the eye contact is very direct. The image can be argued to be conventional as the artist is looking straight as the camera with confidence and not giving off a self-effacing image. However, I believe that it is conventional by the artists image, the artist has unkept cool edgy hair and a laidback look on his face. While his clothing remains simple and basic which all ties into the indie genre artist representation. This could allow the audience to view my artist as a cool, edgy and unconventional, which could lead them purchasing his new album 'Heaven on earth'. I really admire this picture not only because of the laid back facial expression and conventional look the artist has. But also because of the background and scenery, if you look close you can see the London eye and buildings, this gives an identity to the location showing that its in London. Which also heightens the indie feel to the image as London has a very big indie scene.



This picture emphasises that the artist is travelling somewhere in London. By the location being the London underground tubes, it displays the artist as a regular person who still uses public transport despite his wealth and fame. This can cause the audience to believe that the artist is a lot like themselves, which could persuade them to view and listen to the artists music or maybe even purchase the digipak. This picture would most likely be used for the digipak as this type of scenery will be shown in the music video this image would be used as a behind the scenes type picture. Which is suitable for a indie digipak. I took this picture as I felt that an image of the artist looking away would make him look very professional and indie like. I feel that it is conventional through the artist appearing very relaxed, playing his guitar which is typical to see from a indie artist. I edited all images on photoshop, however, for this image I put shadows on the other passengers on the tube. I did this to display the location as more secluded and mysterious. I'm happy with this picture as I feel that my artist comes across to the audience as a musician in the indie genre and the positioning of his body and shadows create a very artistic powerful representation.


This picture was taken as I spotted a really artistic black and white background and felt that it would be a great image for us to take to be put on our digipak or advert. However, I have made this picture the picture to my magazine advert. As I feel that it looks very artistic and old fashioned. The collage of pictures itself were black and white and look scruffy but very creative. I then made the artist black and white to fade in with the background and almost look as if he is a part of the artistic collage on the wall. This image is conventional to the indie genre mainly because of the black and white grayscale which is commonly used by indie artists to display simplicity, authenticity and to display that something is old fashioned. I really love this picture, infact its my favourite of all the images. I feel that the positioning of the artist against the background posters is just epic. The head of the artist facing the ground at a side profile looks almost as if the artists inner mind is creative and portrays the artist as serious. This will allow the audience to be drawn to the artist due to his creative portrayal by the picture.



These two pictures are also some of my favourites taken on the day of filming. One of my group members spotted the indie packed location and a quick picture was taken. I love this picture as it is bright through the lights of the tattoo parlour but contrasts with the run down look of the buildings. This contrast can also relate to the artist as sweet, young but edgy, letting the audience understand who the artist is. These two images in my view appeal to older people in the ages of 18+ as you can identify in the image that their is a mature, adult only shop and tattoo parlour it appeals to part of our target audience. For the audience this will allow them to view the artist as edgy and cool, willing to take risks by taking a picture of these shops. It can help the artist be seen in a cool role model light, which can build the artists fan base and brand perception. This image would be used in my digipak as I feel that it gives an objectified representation of my artist which is something I feel fans would cherish more if it was in a digipak what you buy rather than a magazine advert which is in a way free of charge. It is definitely conventional to the indie genre as the location looks dingy, in a backstreet with a couple bright lights, which somehow gives off Indie characteristics.



I took this picture when we were leaving the train station, I wanted our artist to be positioned outside this small room in the station, a help point. This help point in the background will connote that the artist is in need for help, which relates to the meaning of the song from runaway. The artist is also carrying many heavy items such as a backpack and a guitar this was shown by taking a picture of his back, this conveyed how the artist has a lot of baggage and is serious about running away. The positioning of the artist in the camera looks like he doesn't have any sense of direction as he is walking diagonally while the by passers are walking ahead in a straight line. This can portray the artist as lost and confused, allowing the audience to sympathise with the artist. I intend to use this photo in my digipak, I feel the message it sends out is very strong and shouldn't be covered with text but should be solely displayed in the digipak album. It is conventional to the indie genre as it is set in a low-key location which is typical in the indie genre as it creates mystery and impact for the audience·
Artists also tend to be plainly dressed, playing the instrument of a guitar. 


Lastly, the orange/brown telephone box (this was edited via photoshop). I took this image to signify London and to reinforce to the audience that the artist originates from London and has a British culture. I didn't intend to edit the telephone box upon taking the picture, but after playing around with effects I felt that changing the colour of the telephone box could convey a strong message from the artist to the audience. The message is that London isn't what you think it is, its not all bright, its not what you expect it to be, its a faux. I felt like I transmitted that message by changing something so sentimental to the British image.  To take the evaluation further I feel that it represents gold, wealth and royalty, the crown on the telephone box represents royalty, the telephone box looks like a bar of gold while the bikes in the background convey a carriage, in relation to royalty. With the door of the telephone box shut, I feel that it shows that the artist is separated from the lavish lifestyle and wealth, and doesn't admire it. For the audience this will allow them to feel that the artist is down to earth, original and different, which could increase their loyalty to the artist and their artistic movement. I intend to use this image in my digipak. I feel that it is conventional as indie artists tend to show their perspective on important issues, in a non-condescending way. While showing that they have little care for wealth. So I feel that my artist also conveyed this successfully.

To conclude, I really enjoyed taking the pictures for my group and editing them. I feel that the photography allowed me to see everything in London artistically and create an artistic still image for the artist. I feel that I spotted great locations well and photographed the artist, objects and scenery to a good standard to convey a message. I think I may of struggled with using the settings as sometimes the camera would blur and I didn't know how to remove the blur and get the camera to be consistent and focus. However, despite many blurry images taken I still ended up gaining many pictures for my artist. The representation these images give my artist is a self-effacing, laidback and edgy one which is very conventional to the indie genre. As individual members of a group we will formulate individual magazine adverts an digipaks. We will all receive the images and then design to what we feel looks good and conventional. We will then come together and pick out what we admire and do not like in each members individual digipak and advert. This will allow us to merge each members ideas into a group advert and digipak. So all our creativity will be involved in the designing of a successful album and advert.

1 comment:

  1. You have provided an excellent analysis of your photoshoot, clearly explaining what your thoughts were when taking each picture and where you intended to use them and why.

    You need to:
    1) Explain whether or not you think each picture is conventional of your chosen genre and why
    2) Double check spelling etc.

    ReplyDelete